cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dudikowski Member

Xerox 550/560 - what about Mac OS X Lion compatibility?

One thing that is removed from Max OS X 10.7 Lion is PPC code. There is no Rosetta to run older PPC code anymore. So I assume that any software that is depending on running PPC code will not work with Lion.

We have a Xerox 560 with integrated Fiery and in the printer drivers I can see this plugin

/Library/Printers/Xerox/PDEs/EF472831 (FF).plugin

This corresponds to an application from EFI that is PPC only.

/Library/Application Support/EFI/driver/EF472831/of2edit

It's a bit much to upgrade to Lion and then discover if it is working or not. Maybe the "of2edit" application isn't something we use. Or maybe it is critical.

Please inform us.

6 Replies
BonnieC New Member

Re: Xerox 550/560 - what about Mac OS X Lion compatibility?

I have the same question.  I don't know the precise function of of2edit, as I can't find a reference to it anywhere on the site - so I don't know whether or not this is an impediment to upgrading or not.  There have already been a large number of hits on this topic (appx. 100) - can someone in Xerox support please respond?

macman New Member

Same problems here - we have a Phaser 3250. Searching on Xerox support for Lion gives no info at all and there are no updated drivers.

Dudikowski Member

I couldn't wait any longer so I installed Lion. I have a backup solution with a printer share on our server running OS X 10.5 so I thought I would give it a try.

When I add the printer OS X Lion tells me it needs to repair the installation. I click OK and after that it seem to work. I also had to reinstall Fiery Command Workstation 5.3 and then fix som path issues in the preferences.

Xerox added a new driver in June sorted under Integrated Fiery but the name is EX550/560. There is another product in the list titled Xerox EX Print Server so I think it should be listed there instead. Can someone confirm this?

0 Kudos
Fabio Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

there is no driver yet compatible for 10.7 , the EX you mention is for the  external Fiery, not the integrated one

EFI released a compact driver , for now you need to use that one until EFI updates his driver.. Its not xerox that needs to release the driver for EFI , but eventually , the xerox site will be updated...

http://fieryforums.efi.com/showthread.php/2454-EFI-has-released-a-universal-Mac-OS-X-10.7-Fiery-Prin...

0 Kudos
Dudikowski Member

Thanks for the info. 

About the EX-download I think I can explain it better with images.

When I visit the Drivers page and select "Integrated Fiery" the top item is a new file from June 10, 2011 labeled "EX550/560 updated ...". The "EX" letters may be a dead give away for Xerox tech people but I have no clue at this point what EX stands for, because I have never used anything else than the integrated Fiery. So I download it and install it.

is this right.jpg

If I switch to "Xerox EX-Server" in the menu the file from June it is not shown. The newest download is now from Oct 1, 2010. To me it looks like the file is listed under the wrong product. 

nothing here.jpg

0 Kudos
Fabio Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

yep, seems that misplaced that driver :)

but it should work also for your internal, eventually its just a ppd file...

0 Kudos