cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Xerox 7232 out of paper message on LCD (wrong paper size)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm a systems administrator in a small/medium sized business (approx 50 users). I have just completed a server upgrade/replacement. I went from Windows SBS2003 to SBS2011 but in the process I replaced the hardware and did a migration of all users etc.

After this was completed I downloaded the drivers for one of three Xerox units we have. A Workcentre 7232, the large free standing version (if that makes any difference)? My clients are using still Windows XP x32 so there were initial issues getting the right driver but I thought I had the right one. The driver I downloaded was the Xerox Global Print Driver PCL. This has 32 bit drivers built in for my clients. All seemed good. I set the settings in the driver to the paper in the printer. We use A4, A3 as we are not in the US (Letter 8.5 x 11).

Each user I set up the same way. Shared the printer and added it on each machine that uses this particular printer. Set their settings the same A4 in every box I could find. However this is where my problems started.

Any new documents that are printed go through witout a hitch, however many of the old ones have a strange issue. Even though they are set in the application (Excel for instance) to A4, the print preferences is set to A4, the print preview is set to A4, every box I could find that states a paper size setting is set to A4, when the job is sent, a message appears on the LCD screen on the printer saying that the paper is not available (Letter 8.5 x 11) and that I need to load this paper into the printer. Bear in mind that if I open a new Excel file and set it to letter or A4 it will print with no problem, it only seems to be old files that have this issue. Also seems to be mainly in Excel. On some files I simply copied and pasted all the contents of the file into a new window and printed it and it went through with no issues. However some files are complex with formulas and this is not a solution.

So can anyone tell me what the issue is? I am assuming it’s the driver, but I can’t seem to find another more suitable on the Xerox website. I have downloaded about 7 so far, some won’t install and others don’t have the 32 bit client. I also thought it might have been a permissions issue but I tried to print a problem file today logged in as a domain administrator and I still had the same issue. I also made sure each user had full print manage permissions to the printer.

I’m out of ideas, I’ve contacted Xerox but I’m waiting for a reply and in the past they have not been the fastest to get back to me so I’m hoping someone here has had the same issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: Xerox 7232 out of paper message on LCD (wrong paper size)

Jump to solution
In case you are reading this after having the same issues I thought I would list the wnswer as I figured it out myself (still waiting fro Xerox support to get back to me.

Turns out it was the printer driver. I booted up the old server using a screen mouse and keyboard and checked which printer driver was installed. It was the Xerox Global Printer Drover PCL6. However as we now have a 64 bit server it’s not a case of just installing this on the new server. I downloaded the 64 bit version of this driver and installed it. Then in Additional Drivers on the Sharing tab of the properties I added a 32 bit version PCL6 driver. This has to be for Windows Server 2003 x32 to work with the XP clients. (You can’t use Windows XP drivers, doesn’t work.)

Very strange thing this, glad I finally solved it.
0 Kudos