cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

Re: Xerox Altalink C8000 Color Accuracy Issues

I assume you are referencing the Xerox Global Print driver (GPD) and not the HP Universal Print Driver (UPD)

blue becomes purple, red becomes magenta, and people printed all get a sunburn, is typically because the app by default outputs RGB, Adobe products do this for each printer until you change it (for each one) via Let printer determine color

3.JPG

Speed tends to be a too many check boxes are enabled by default thing, so try disabling these 3 things (You won't lose a single feature by doing so)

4.JPG5.JPG

Color is definitely still being worked on though.

Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe
0 Kudos
PartTimeGeek Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Yes Joe :) My mind is like a sieve sometimes.

I edited my post to correct my cross branding :)

What is interesting is that those options were all enabled when we were using the ColorQube and we didn't seem to have any issues.

Relating to the Adobe Reader DC settings, I don't like having to do something like that because it is a setting I or a successor or a substitue needs to remember to change any time they deploy a new PC or re-factory image one, or create a new user profile for someone. I will look to see if there is some kind of Group Policy registry hack to do it globally, but I am not sure I like that idea either.

Regarding the settings you pointed out in the GPD driver, As long as I can easily deploy those settings globally using either the Printer Properties | Adnvanced | Printing Defaults settings at the priint queue on the print server, or with the Xerox Driver XML Config Tool (which I have already in place) I will make those changes and do some testing.

Thanks for your quick and easy to understand replies!

Chris.

"Time is an illusion... Lunchtime, doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
0 Kudos
PartTimeGeek Frequent Member
Frequent Member

@Joe053204-hcl wrote:

I assume you are referencing the Xerox Global Print driver (GPD) and not the HP Universal Print Driver (UPD)

blue becomes purple, red becomes magenta, and people printed all get a sunburn, is typically because the app by default outputs RGB, Adobe products do this for each printer until you change it (for each one) via Let printer determine color

3.JPG

I just checked that on my Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:
What I found is that the setting is global within Adobe Reader DC for all printers, whether PCL or PS

AdobeReaderDCLetPrinterDetermineColors-1.PNGSetting on PS printer

Unrelated HP printer

AdobeReaderDCLetPrinterDetermineColors-2.PNGHP PCL6 printer same settingAdobeReaderDCLetPrinterDetermineColors-2-Changed.PNGUncheck the setting on HP printer and hit OKAdobeReaderDCLetPrinterDetermineColors-1-PicksUpGlobalChange.PNGBack to Xerox PS printer- Picked up change - It's Global

This begets these points

1) one of the strengths of using Postscript is to get consistent color/detail/gradation/page appearance across different printer models and even different brands

2) enabling that setting essentially negates the color part of the postscript advantage globally for Adobe Reader DC

3) Does having that setting enabled have any meaning when you are printing to a PCL 6 driver? Considering this post Re: General best practices-- PCL vs Postscript, Bidirectional communication It does not say explicitly that PCL6 handles the color selection, but does it? Is that why our layout looked right when printing to the PCL6 driver but not the PS one with the check box unchecked in both cases?

4) since the setting is global for all print queues Adobe Acrobat Reader prints to, should I enable that checkbox if people will be using other printers with a mix of PCL6 and PS?

-- Ford Prefect
0 Kudos
Analyst Nation Moderator Joe053204-hcl
Analyst Nation Moderator

This begets these points

1) one of the strengths of using Postscript is to get consistent color/detail/gradation/page appearance across different printer models and even different brands Correct

2) enabling that setting essentially negates the color part of the postscript advantage globally for Adobe Reader DC  Postscript jobs, in this case PDF, can have the color profile embedded in them, if it doesn't, it expects RGB output (red is magenta, blue is purple etc etc) It is always better to let the printer determine color, it doesn't matter what brand of printer

3) Does having that setting enabled have any meaning when you are printing to a PCL 6 driver? Considering this post Re: General best practices-- PCL vs Postscript, Bidirectional communication It does not say explicitly that PCL6 handles the color selection, but does it? Is that why our layout looked right when printing to the PCL6 driver but not the PS one with the check box unchecked in both cases? PCL just can't do accuracy in color because it simply doesn't embed color like PS does. I would always leave it checked (enabled) but PCL really isn't going to change much (if at all) PCL is much more accurate though, if you are printing CAD files, you want PCL (PS will do antialiasing and smooth jagged lines, this may make the building fall over ;-) )

4) since the setting is global for all print queues Adobe Acrobat Reader prints to, should I enable that checkbox if people will be using other printers with a mix of PCL6 and PS? Yes, always have it enabled, no matter the driver, the printer, the brand, or the type (CMYK toner/Solid Ink/liquid Ink), Doubly so in printers that contain more than CMYK toner/ink.

-- Ford Prefect
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
--HHGTTG

And another thing. If you have content creators, make sure they are using PDF/x, doesn't matter which one, but PDF/x3 is by far the most compatable
Please be sure to select "Accept Solution" and or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!

Joe