cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Xerox DP700i Booklet Making on command with Postscript

Jump to solution

Hello,

My name is Ken Post. My goal is to be able to tell a DP700i to make variable sized booklets via postscript code.

I have an open service call with xerox software support at the moment to assist me in this matter. This has been an issue over the last 6 months.  In august my original call was for variable Tray calls and booklets. I was directed to EFI Fiery Forums. I have not received any working solutions via that. Since then,  I have come up with a work around to make the printer call different trays variably, but still have not come up with an solution to make variable paged booklets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My EFI Forums post can be viewed below: 

My goal is to compile a postscript file that tells the printer which tray or trays specifically to pull paper from, as well as (not necessarily at the same time) make booklets when I tell it to, via the postscript stream.

I am using Printsoft Pres IDE 6.1.1 to compile.

First issue is I need to be able to pull paper from any of the trays on demand, for example two separate 8.5x11 sheets, one being 100lb Cover and the other 60lb Text. Pres has a TRAY command, but the EFI Fiery does not recognize it and ignores it. I do have the capability to inject the specific postscript code to make it pull paper from any tray on demand, but only if I had the specific code to do so. I was wondering if anyone can supply that code.

The other issue, if it can be done, is I need the postscript code to command the printer to make a booklet on demand. For example, let's say I have a job with 100 recipients. Each recipient will receive a booklet of variable pages of two to four Ledger sized pages stapled, and folded down the center. I need to know the code to tell the printer when to make a booklet out of a variable set of pages on demand. Pres also has a BOOKLET command, but again, as with the TRAY command, the Fiery does not recognize it and completely ignores it.

So far I have called both Printsoft and Xerox Customer support. Printsoft was unable to come up with a solution. Xerox was also unable supply a solution and even referred me to use the EFI forums to request the "PDL Guides for Fiery Systems 8 or 9"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. The higher priority would be the Tray call issue, since this is a feature we use on our AFPDS printers on a regular basis, and customers are beginning to ask when we can do full color with two types of paper.

I have a Xerox DP700i controlled by a Xerox 700i Color EX Fiery Server. The printer has a HCF tray option and a booklet maker option installed.

Information from the Server Configuration page on the Device Center on the EFI Command Workstation 5:
Product Xerox 700 Color EX Server
Version 1.0_SP1
Software 10

I will supply any more information required if I have not provided enough.

Thank you for any advice and time supplied.

Ken Post
Variable Print Programmer
AB Data, LTD.
J200 Fiery connected to Canon ImagePress 1125
Using Command Workstation v5
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Product Xerox 700 Color EX Server
Version 1.0_SP1
Software 10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've posted my current status in the next post.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience making a DP700i make a booklet of variable pages, via Postscript commands rather than manually having to do it on the Fiery and going through each and every page, since that would not be an efficient method when dealing with a job of 70,000 variable sized booklets.

Any assistence or advice is much appreciated, Thank you for your time.

Ken Post

AB Data, Ltd

Layout/Design Programmer

edit: revised to comply with Xerox Forum Rules.

Ken Post
AB Data, Ltd
Layout/Design, Variable Print Programmer
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

tRe: Xerox DP700i Booklet Making on command with Postscript

Jump to solution

Here is the current status of where I am at with tray calls and booklet making on this printer by inserting the printers Postscript langauge into my Postscript files:

I installed the Xerox 700 Color EX Server printer driver on my work-station computer. Then I Printed a word document to that printer, but selected "Print to File." I also changed the printing properties for the file, on media color I selected White. I named the file "White.ps" I repeated this again and selected Blue for a second postscript file, and named it "Blue.ps"

Using a Text Editor, I opened white.ps and searched for "White" and the result was:

%%BeginFeature: *EFMediaColor White

userdict /XJXEFIsetpageproperties known
{  << /XJXSetMediaColor [ 1 ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties  }
{  userdict /XJXSetMediaColor known
{ 1 XJXSetMediaColor } if
} ifelse
%%EndFeature

I searched Blue.ps in the text editor for "Blue" and got:

%%BeginFeature: *EFMediaColor Blue

{  << /XJXSetMediaColor [ 5 ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties  }
{  userdict /XJXSetMediaColor known
{ 5 XJXSetMediaColor } if
} ifelse
%%EndFeature

I simply had my Postscript compiler put each block of code before each page layout (the "White" code for Page1 and "Blue" code for Page2). Then on the printer I had set tray1 to "White" paper and Tray2 to "Blue" paper (even though physically, both are white). And this worked!

I am currently trying to get the printer to staple now, using the same method above to extract the "Booklet" code and got:

%%BeginFeature: *EFFold CollateHalfFold
  { << /XJXSetPrinterinfo [ (EFFold) (CollateHalfFold) ] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties } if
%%EndFeature
%%BeginFeature: *EFStapler Stitch

{ << /XJXsetstapleV2 [14] >> XJXEFIsetpageproperties }

{ /XJXsetstapleV2 where { pop 14 XJXsetstapleV2 } if } ifelse
%%EndFeature

Only problem is that this causes the printer to attempt to staple the whole file. The test file I am doing is 10 simplex 11x17 pages and is supposed to staple every 2 pages, not all 10 pages together. I tried both putting that code before or after the page layouts.

I also tried what I thought would be an "OFF" for this:

%%BeginFeature: *EFFold False
%%EndFeature
%%BeginFeature: *EFStapler false
%%EndFeature

at the end of my page layout, but it still staples the whole job together.

Ken Post
AB Data, Ltd
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Account Deactivated

Re: Xerox DP700i Booklet Making on command with Postscript

Jump to solution

Hi KAB1234.

Technical Support may be able to assist you with this issue.  You can reach them at 1-800-821-2797.

Please select "Accept Solution" and / or select the thumbs up icon to enter Kudos for posts that resolve your issues. Your feedback counts!
Thanks,
SandyP-Xerox
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I currently have an active service call out for this, but have not gotten any working solutions for the issue. As seen above, I even solved the Tray call issue on my own.

I can post the Reference #, but for now I will not because I do not know if that is against the forum rules or not.

I am only attempting to cover all resources of information to get this resolved a.s.a.p.

We have a job coming in the next few weeks, that will be 75,000 variable booklets. My only work around so far is to create a Postscript file for each and every booklet, and then apply preset on the Fiery which would make any files it is applied to print as a booklet. The problems with my work around are:

1) that each file takes as long to spool as it does to print.

2) the file size for each file is approximately 70 Mb, total file size of all 75k booklets would be over 5 Terabytes.

If I were able to spool one Postscript file with working booklet commands in the file then the file size would be around a few Gb instead of Tb, and would take a fraction of the time to create.

Ken Post
AB Data, Ltd
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have received a solution for Static page booklets in a large Postscript file (such as the job we are about to do).

I send a Large postscript file that has 70,000 11x17 records composed of four impressions each.

On the Fiery Command Workstation select the file, the select “properties” > VDP Tab > "Define Record Length" and then I entered "4" in the "Pages Per Record" field.

So, for this issue, I can accept this as a solution for Static Booklet making.

Ken Post
AB Data, Ltd
0 Kudos