cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mim New Member

have recycled Xerox Phaser 8400 -- questions about ink cartridges

Situation:  I was just given a working  Xerox Phaser 8400 printer, recycled from a government office. Its total page count is 64,000+.  It came loaded with at least  3-4 ink sticks in each  slot, but--as far as I can tell, the only actual colors of  are yellow, in the yellow slot, and black in all the rest. I can't see any labels, so I don't know if the ink sticks are genuine Xerox or not. The Cleaning Page test sheets show only dark red, dark green, dark purple, and black, with a thin streak of yellow just off the vertical  center line. For the time being, I don't need anything but black. 

Following the directions on the front panel, I've unloaded the waste ink from the maintenance tray--it looks like hardened puddles of black crayon. 

Questions

I see how to load new ink sticks. but what happens to the hard plastic cases once an ink stick is used up?

Are there any environmental problems about throwing the   the puddles of waste ink in the garbage? Can I use them safely for some other purpose, like drawing? Can I send them to be recycled? Phaser 8400 isn't listed on the Xerox recycled supplies site, I think.

Thaks, mim     1/22/2011

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xerox Employee JohnM-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Re: have recycled Xerox Phaser 8400 -- questions about ink cartridges

Hello mim,

The ink sticks that you have are non-toxic and any waste can be safely thrown out with the normal office waste.  As far as recycling, there really isn't anything to recycle as the ink sticks are not in a cartridge.  That is why the Phaser 8400 does not appear on the Xerox Recycling website.  I'm not sure that I answered your question there or not??  If you still have questions just send a reply to this post and I'll try to answer them.

John

0 Kudos
JohnXDPS Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Re: have recycled Xerox Phaser 8400 -- questions about ink cartridges

I think I understand what you're asking.  That hard 'Plastic' cube is all usable ink.  You purchase genuine solid ink and they will come in a box and 'stick' or 'qube' is installed in a plastic wafer. The machine will use the entire inkstick.  The waste tray in there will collect the little runoff, disposed ink.  The ink is bio-degradable and has no negative environmental impact. What I would watch for is excessive ink in the waste tray, most likely caused by a power failure.  its okay if you power cycle every now and then but if you turn it off every night you'll find a ton of wasted ink in there and it could become expensive. 

As for the quality of the ink supply in the printer that you purchased - While there is no way of knowing, I work in Government and Education sales for Xerox.  I will say that typically governmental units I have worked with will not purchase and use 3rd party ink/toner because of potential unknowns or risks. 

You can also read about 'What Solid Ink Is and the Advantages' right here on the Xerox website

0 Kudos
mim New Member

Re: have recycled Xerox Phaser 8400 -- follow-up questions re ink use and noise

Thank you, JohnM-Xerox and JohnXDPS, for your clear and very helpful answers. The notion of the ink stick being solid ink with no casing is truly ingenious.

But JohnXDPS wrote : "What I would watch for is excessive ink in the waste tray, most likely caused by a power failure.  its okay if you power cycle every now and then but if you turn it off every night you'll find a ton of wasted ink in there and it could become expensive."

This presents a new problem! Aside from energy conservation, I  have good reasons for keeping  the 8400 Phaser  turned off unless I am actually printing out something.

It sits by my computer and phone, next to a bedroom (no other place for it), so its constant chugging sound even in Powersaver standby mode is annoying. Is there any way I can have my ink and my silence, too?  

Also, we often  get power outages--so we are in the habit of turning off power to computers and printers at night,   in bad weather, or when we leave the house, even though they are all on surge protectors.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mim 1-27-2011 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xerox Employee BenjaminG-Xerox
Xerox Employee

Re: have recycled Xerox Phaser 8400 -- follow-up questions re ink use and noise

Hi Mim,

The solid ink machines are designed to be left powered on at all times. You can turn the machine off when no in use, however when the machine powers up from a cold state, it needs to a cleaning cycle and will waste a small amount of ink while purging the printhead.

If you power the machine off and on several times a week, you will quicky use more ink during the cleaning cycle than your power costs during that same period of time if the machine is left on.

However, if you were only printing to the machine a couple times a week and possibly doing long print runs when you do use it, the amount of ink wasted during the cleaning may be insignificant compared to the power usage of leaving the machine for a whole week when not in use.

0 Kudos