cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4 Replies
choco

Re: modifying printer options with command line

Hi Tony

thanks for your time and your contribution.

I don't want to print from a script but I want to set up a printer with a script. Or to be exact I want to change an option of an already installed printer. macOS/CUPS presently think the printer has no duplex unit

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-21 um 16.04.55.pngand I need a script to change that (because I have to do it on many remote computers) so that macOS knows that a duplexer is available.

Roger

0 Kudos

HI choco, when printing from a script, you may have to use the PDL guide to set the printer to duplex mode. PDL Reference Guide for the VersaLink B70xx C70xx Devices - VersaLink C7000 Printer - Xerox.

It's been decades since I've done this myself but basically you should just be able to change the header of the print job and add the duplex command. @PJL SET DUPLEX = 1

I don't have a C7000 to look at but you may be able to set two sided to be default in the device itself versus from the print driver. Login to the device web page and poke around at the print options. 

Tony

choco

Hi Judy
thanks for you reply. When I add the printer through the GUI (System settings) the duplex unit is detected alright. However, I need to do it with a script (command line) and to the best of my knowledhe that involves the lpadmin and lpoptions command. Unfortunately I cant set it up that way so that the printing system knows that there is a duplex unit. I must be missing something.
Best regards. Roger
0 Kudos
JudySolo-Xerox
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi There,

The printer should automatically detect there is a duplex feature on the device. Since the device isn't recognizing the unit you will need to escalate this to your Xerox support department. Please contact them at 1-800-821-2797 or 1-800-835-6100. 

Thanks,
JudySolo-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!
choco

modifying printer options with command line

Product Name: VersaLink C7000 Printer
Operating System: macOS 12 - Monterey

I have installed a Versalink C7000 on MacOS (Ventura) with the following command in terminal (all on one line)

lpadmin
-p C7000 -E
-m "Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox VersaLink C7000.gz"
-D "C7000 A3"
-L "W11"
-v "ipps://C7000/ipp/print"

The printer appears in System Settings but the option "Duplex unit" is set to "not installed" even though the printer has one. The command lpoptions -p C7000 -l outputs (among other info)

XRDuplexUnit/Duplex Module: *False True

I can manually set it in the GUI to installed (and then the the above setting changes to *True) but i need to do that from the command line. I tried

lpoptions -p C7000 -o XRDuplexUnit=True

but I don't think that's correct because it doesn't change the setting in the GUI only in the output of the lpoptions command with the -l parameter.

Any idea how to go about it?

Best regards

Roger

0 Kudos