My guess would be that you used DHCP/Autonet and not DHCP.
The fix, if not that, would be to set the primary DNS as 220.127.116.11 and the secondary as 192.168.1.1.
And failing that, the only thing left is a factory wipe, because its clearly a false message if you are getting login failures, becuas ewithout DNS you don't get a login prompt to fail on.
Also in the DNS, add .local to the Hostname (XEROX.local)
And set the domain name to WORKGROUP.local
After running the trace tests yesterday, we realized we had a problem with our SMTP2GO account and switched over to the google aspmx server described in the attached link.
We did this to eliminate the SMTP2GO variable. But no luck in in sending emails. Then we made the changes you suggested in the previous post and we had success. Thank you. We are wondering why the DHCP instead of DHCP/Autonet and the host and domain name changes you suggested made such a huge difference. Any explanation?
Also, for future issues, could we have hooked up to the USB ports (#7 and #8) in the attached diagram to do local troubleshooting with a laptop or do we need something specialized to do this. When we hooked to port #7 with the laptop, it did not seem to have any effect.
Thank you again.
The USB ports are not usable like that, they are for printing from a PC and for scan/print to and from a USB stick, or for powering devices and adding things like card readers, they are not for diagnostics.
DHCP gets an address from a DHCP server, DHCP/A gets it by checking the IP's on the network and assigning itself one that isn't in use.
As for the hostname stuff, recently a bunch of mail servers seem to require the .local be added when the device sending is not part of a real domain. No idea on the why, they didn't need it at all for a very long span, then all of the sudden we started seeing errors on Office365 SMTP traffic, then a week later Godaddy and Gmail, then some more, and more etc etc.At some point one of us accidentally stumbled on the .local fix, we have been suggesting it ever since, and it seems to be working.
I assume it was discovered in a Wireshark trace.