cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

LDAP Printing Authenication Workcentre 7665

We have a Workcentre 7665 and have configured it to use LDAP at the device.  However, we are curious if LDAP printing is supported from client computers.  Currently it is set for standard accounting (local accounts on the device) and prompts for a UserID and AccountID when attempting to print.  But we would like to eliminate these and have it prompt for a user name and password from an LDAP authenication (Active Directory) lookup.

Is this possible, and if so, is there a guide available for this setup or can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xerox Employee
Xerox Employee

Re: LDAP Printing Authenication Workcentre 7665

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for your suggestion.  I reviewed that white paper when I orignally set LDAP on the machine.  The LDAP configuration works correctly at the device, but does not seem to work when printing to the device from a remote computer.  I do not see any instructions in the white paper about how to setup printing with LDAP authenication.  Testing the LDAP settings in CentreWare Internet Services confirms that it is allowing and denying the appropriate access. 

Is there a way to setup LDAP authenication for printing from a remote computer?  And if it is possible, are there instructions available?

Again, we don't want to use xerox standard accounting, but prefer to use strictly LDAP authenication when printing remotely (user name and password).

Thanks again for any help provided!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm still searching for a solution for setting up LDAP authenication to allow printing from client computers (Windows/Mac).  If anyone has a setup that works, please let me know.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Technical Escalation User
Technical Escalation User

Hi micshar,

LDAP authentication from the driver, to print jobs. I have never seen this.

From a printing prespective Xerox devices offer 3 types of accounting. Accounting feature which can be used to limit access to the device by authentication. Both Local accounting and Xerox Standard Accounting you will need to create your users database. Configure the print driver to mirror that configuration.On the 3rd type, you can use external accouting, where you will connect to an external source. Products I am familiar with will also require a pin instead of LDAP details.

The print driver will provide authentication using secure print and/or inegration with an accounting feature. One of the mention before.

The closest, I know, you can get to achieve it, is to use and external accounting solution. This was there is not configuration required on the print driver. The management will be done on the application side, where you can configure to import users from AD.

Depending on the software you can choose this to integrate with LDAP, Windows or other authentications methods.

These solutions and appliations examples are, Equitrac, Safecom, Cirrato.

You also have other lower end solutions such as Secure Access or even page counter (free from Xerox website) but with limited capabilities.

Please select Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Agency Analyst
Agency Analyst

Agreed - you may want to look at Equitrac or YSoft.

Thank you,
Jordan R.
Systems Analyst / Consultant
Fiery Certified Professional

If someone helped you make sure you give Kudos for their efforts! Don't forget to Select Accept as Solution if the reply resolved your issue as it will be able to help others!
0 Kudos