cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

WorkCentre 6515 - Locked Out. How to reset?

Product Name: WorkCentre 6515
Operating System: macOS 10.14 - Mojave

I've had a WorkCentre 6515 DNI in my small home office for less than a week now and have somehow put the printer into a state whereby I am locked out as Administrator. The login process for admin no longer recognizes the password I gave it upon installation (it worked for five days previously) nor does it recognize the original default password of the machine's Serial Number.

The only thing out of the ordinary was that two days ago upon further configuring settings, I backed myself into a corner and couldn't figure a way out, so I reset the machine back to factory defaults and re-configured the machine.

While I don't think I did this, the only thing I can think of was that somehow when setting the printer up the second time, I mis-typed when changing the password from the default of the Serial Number to the password that I had originally selected. It wasn't a difficult password so it should have been typed in correctly and I've tried many variations of the password attempting to "guess" what it might have been.

Please let me know how I can get past this problem. I would reset the machine back to Factory Defaults, but of course I can't do that as I no longer have Admin access.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: WorkCentre 6515 - Locked Out. How to reset?

Hello Ladd,

I searched the Knowledgebase and found some info on when resetting the device to factory. Based on the firmware, it may be 1111 or your serial number with case sensitive letters.

To log in as a system administrator:

1. At the printer control panel, press the Home button.
  2. Touch Log In.
  3. If present, touch admin, otherwise, use the keypad to type admin, then touch Next.
  4. Type the administrator password, then touch OK

For software versions earlier than PL6 (XX.5X.XX), the default administrator password is 1111. For software versions PL6 (XX.5X.XX) or later, the default administrator password is the device serial number. You can obtain the serial number from the back of the printer, from the configuration report, or from the home page of the Embedded Web Server. The password is case-sensitive.

Note: Upgrading to PL6 (XX.5X.XX) does not change the administrator password. If you reset to the device to factory defaults, the administrator password changes to the device serial number for versions PL6 (XX.5X.XX) or later of the software.
Thanks,
CathyO-Xerox
Community Manager

Be sure to click Kudos for those who have helped you.
Select Accept as Solution for posts that have helped to solve your issue(s)!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for those suggestions.

However, I have already tried the original default password (the printer's serial number), the old default password (1111) and the password I gave the printer when originally setting it up two weeks ago. None of those allow me to re-log in as administrator.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreeFlow User

Hi Ladd,

Have you resolved this issue yet? There are 2 ways to resolve it that I know if in your situation.

1. Reset the admin password using a code generator and modified .pjl file. This can be done by anyone with the right Xerox authorization application required by the code generator. They need the serial number of the device and the current meter reading.
  2. Completely erase all settings on the device via special boot menus. A person with access to the Xerox technical documentation needs to do this as it requires a second routine to be run afterward to re-validate some serialized components.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you for that information. It appears, however, that neither of those procedures can be done by the home user.

FWIW: I called Xerox support a week ago, was transfered to Second Level. They said the could reset the printer over the Internet via Network Sharing if I had any Windows PCs in the house.  Unluckily for me, the five computers in the house are all Macintosh, so they arranged to have a Xerox tech come to my home and reset the printer. It took only a couple of minutes after connecting his laptop to the printer via Ethernet.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
FreeFlow User

I'm glad to hear that you got this resolved. I had to go visit a customer recently for the same reason that you needed a visit. It is surprisingly hard to direct print the filetype required to reset the password using recent versions of macOS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

What you say is could possibly be true.

As a Mac user for many decades, I long ago I got used to businesses large and small not dedicating much in the way of resources to Macintosh support.  I would say that most long-time Mac users have come to terms with the idea of going it alone. So I was only slightly disappointed when told "if only you had a PC we could fix you right up!"

I'm always appreciative of any support offered, so while in this case I had to jump through more hoops than I would prefer (or perhaps more accurately, the gentleman who had a two-hour round trip drive to get from his office to my location), all is well that ends well.

Highlighted

Re Xerox® WorkCentre® 6515DN MFP

Software Version:   1.57.3 Serial Number:  3740252363

I have found I am locked out of the printer admin settings, despite knowing the admin password. I have tried the serial number too which was the default before. I have tried through the web app and the printer. It locked me out till reboothed when I can get more tries. Still no better.

I am stuck. One odd thing I have noticed is that after typing in the characters which appear as dots and pressing enter, there are extra dots added which make me think something is adding to the passord which does not then validate.

It used to be fine. 

How do I reset or log in now?

Paul

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I had the same problem a few weeks ago; please read my post from a few days ago:

09-21-2020 02:58 PM

"I called Xerox support a week ago, was transfered to Second Level. They said the could reset the printer over the Internet via Network Sharing if I had any Windows PCs in the house. Unluckily for me, the five computers in the house are all Macintosh, so they arranged to have a Xerox tech come to my home and reset the printer. It took only a couple of minutes after connecting his laptop to the printer via Ethernet."

Highlighted

Rebooting the printer definitely gives more tries when the number of tries has been exceeded. I have now logged in Ok. To be honest I think I wrote the password down wrongly and when I realised my mistake it did let me back in. So I did not need a complex reset procedure. (I now admit to trying the wrong password.)
0 Kudos