cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

WorkCentre 7545 - Limit access to color use via password or PIN

Hi,

i have a WorkCentre 7545.

Can someone explain how to set it to accept only authorized users?

And how and what to set on every single client pc so the users with no credentials can print only b/n, and users with credentials color?

Hope to find the right informations.

Regards

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Technical Escalation User
Technical Escalation User

Re: WorkCentre 7545 - Limit access to color use via password or PIN

Hello,

I believe this is what you might be looking for is to configure color access using LDAP. This will allow you to control which users have access to color by looking at an LDAP object.

I believe there are no specific instructions for the 75xx series but below you can find How-to for 73xx and 7120xx. For looking to both of them you can find how to do it on the 75xx as the process is standard, just might be found in different location depending on the model you use.

73xx

Please select Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

the model 9201 has for 99% the same controller interface , so if you follow the guide below, it should work... :)

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/CQ9201_CQ9202_CQ9203/support/en_US.html?objGUID=2387

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Many thanks, guys.

I will follow your links andh i'll let you know.

Fabrizio

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm sorry but maybe ther's some trouble...

I'm able to configure the WC to accept prints from workstations drivers; when a user try to send a document and is authorized to print b/w the printer work correctly, the same thing if a user, with color authorizations, send a document with colors the wc print correctly.

The problem is when a user, not authorized in anyway (just drivers installed on desktop), send a document and the printer answer with a report in wich "The job was deleted due to invalid accountind IDs".

The printer should print, instead, but in b/w...according with the "Job Overwrite Rights" in the web page of the WC...

Another thing is that, once enabled XSA (Xerox Standard Accounting), everyone who would copy a document have to log in by the touch screen...it's too "time expensive"!

Yesterday i called the support, they told me to update the firmware and try to see if the printer work correctly, but it isn't so.

MAYBE THERE'S A BUG WITH THIS MODEL...

I'll try to contact once again support and try to understeand...then i will inform you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

Hello,

Please dont mix up XSA with ldap:)

XSA 1 = Xerox Standard Accounting = The ability to create MANUAL accounts on the machine (pin) , you can limits those accounts to use a count of 0 for print/copy...

So for copy you need to enter a code to allow color, yes with the new firmware you change the seperate sections (color)

for print you need to configure accounting in the driver setup

DIsadvantage = no central management

LDAP = Authentication mechanis, the link i posted earlier to configure for the 9201 is the same setup as for the 75xx models... Xerox authenticates with an ldap server... So you NEED to login with username/password on the machine , based on color groups , color  service will be enabled... The disadvantage of ldap is the lack of using PIN AND you cant download a history report or user reports... If you need those reports , you need Equitrac Accouting or other Xerox Partner tools

Advantage = central management...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Fabio ('r you italian?).

Thanks for your reply.

Don't worry, i'm not doing confusion with LDAP and XSA.

I will enable LDAP for email addresses only. So, if i want to send a scan to someone via mail, i will select his address.

By other side, about XSA here what i made with.

Enabled XSA with the following rights:

Copy:: only managing color

Print: Enabled

Scan: Disabled

2 users created:

1) user_bn - with the followind rhgts and limitations:

--> COLOR IMPRESSIONS:

--> Print:     user limits = 0 (does'nt have to print color)

--> Copies: user limits = 0 (does'nt have to copy color)

--> B / W IMPRESSIONS:

--> Print:     user limits = 16 000 000 (can print via pc drivers only b/w).

2) user_color

--> COLOR IMPRESSIONS:

--> Print:     user limits = 16 000 000 (full rights)

--> Copies: user limits = 16 000 000 (full rights)

--> B / W IMPRESSIONS:

--> Print:     user limits = 16 000 000 (full rights)

ACCOUNTS:

1) colori

users assigned

--> user_color

2) standard (default for new users) - only b/w

users assigned

--> user_bn

On a desktop i enabled XSA on the driver and "Ask ever", so every time i send a print i'm asked to insert the USER ID (and that's what i want).

Now, when i give "user_color" and send a colored document, the printer work correctly.

But, with the same colored document, whet i give "user_bn", on the pc i receive an error and nothing is printed (instead, i'm aspecting anyway a b/w paper printed!).

Maybe is not that the way the WC 7545 works...

Correct me if i'm wrong, or lead me to the solution.

I just want to use 1 ID for color prints (via drivers) and another one to print ONLY b/w.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've just speaked with technical support.

They told me that that it's the normal activity (not PARANORMAL ACTIVITY! :smileytongue:) of the printer, and that there isn't the possibility to manipulate configuration soo depth.

For that i must use third party sw, or print server.

Now i'm waiting for another session of tests executing from support.

They will let me know and i wil update this post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Advisor
Valued Advisor

thats a normal behaviour, if you select print in color in the driver but you enter a BW user id, the driver wont change it to black/white....

Do you want to block color for specific users? What you can do :

Make 2 queues on your server, make 1 queue BLACK only, so the client cant change it to color...?

You can do this in the options tab of the driver

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I don't have any print server.

The printer is connected directly to the lan.

0 Kudos