cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: APP Scan to Folder does not allow tiff files without creating new folder.

Hello XAS-Moderator,

With the last update being in November, may I ask if this feature release is still planned for Q1 2018? My company is greatly looking forward to multipage tiff functionality.

Thank you,

Jakob Berry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xerox Employee
Xerox Employee

Hello, Jakob. 

I have confirmation from the team that the release will be a bit delayed.  The new release target is now in 2Q2018. 

Our apologies for the delay. New, exciting features on being planned for inclusion in the release.   

Thanks, 

XAS Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Is this any closer to being released? Having the machine create a folder every time someone does a mutli page tiff is a major inconvenience.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xerox Employee
Xerox Employee

Hello. 

The release is currently being targeted for a September 2018 launch. 

Our apologies for the delay.  We realize that this behavior is not ideal. We are working as quick as possible to make a quality product available. 

Stay tuned to this forum.  We will post an announcement when the release is available. 

Thank you, 

XAS Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Has this update been released? If so, does this include the VersaLink line, and how do we get the update.

We just installed 15 of the Versalink B405 model this week. This issue with it creating subfolders when scanning as tiff is creating major headaches. We are a retail chain with hundreds of invoices that need to be scanned each week from multiple stores. Having to move them from dozens of subfolders into the correct folder is causing a lot more work for our accounting department. If this cannot be resolved soon, then we will most likely have to return these and go with a different scanner.

Chad Hastings
DGS-Acquisitions, LLC
Director of Information Technology

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, Chad.

Yes, this has been released and the fix does include the VersaLink line of devices. 

To take advantage of the update, you will need to go to the updated App Gallery (https://appgallery.services.xerox.com) and create new Scan to Shared Folder apps (The Scan to Shared Folder app is included in the Scan to Multi-Destination app now).  

When creating your app and editing your File Format, there is now an option to 'Combine Files'. This is selected by default and allows multiple page files to be scanned and sent to the destination folder as one file (no more subfolders).  Leaving the 'Combine Files' option unchecked will revert to the old way of scanning.

I hope that this information is helpful.  If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,

XAS Moderator 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If I am understanding this correctly, then this solution will not work. Can you clarify what this will do? It sounds like this solution is just going to create one big tiff file, which will not work. These are invoices, and have to be uploaded to our accounting software as separate pages. If it is one file, then the accounting department would have to print that file, and then scan it into the Xerox Altalink we have at corporate. The Atlalink device scans it in the folder we tell it, as separate files without subfolders. We just need the Versalinks to do the exact same thing. If this is how this solutions works, than that is great. If not, then we need a way to make it work this way soon, or we will have to find scanners that do.

Currently, all of our locations are having to fax their invoices to corporate, and then accounting is having to scan them using the Atlalink. We are talking about 2,000 invoices for every 4 week period. This is creating a lot of extra work, as well as costs due to amount of paper needed for these faxes. If this solution is going to require us to print the file anyways, then it would still be extra work, as well as additional costs for the paper.

On a related note, we tried switching back to pdf, since it was not creating subfolders when we first tested. We figured we could convert the pdfs to tiffs, and then upload them. It would be a little more work, but would not require all the paper costs. We tried switching back to pdf, since tif was not working, but now pdfs are creating subfolders as well. We cannot get the subfolders turned off for pdfs now, even after resetting the devices back to default.

I do understand the reason behind the subfolders, but cannot understand why they cannot be turned of, especially since other Xerox printers have this ability.

Chad Hastings
DGS-Acquisitions, LLC

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, Chad.

Thank you for clarifying.  I think that I understand your workflow.  Can you tell me how many pages your invoices have (single page or multiple pages)?  Also, how are the invoices being scanned?  Do you place a stack of invoices in the feeder and select scan?  Or do you have someone scanning each invoice separately? 

The reason that I ask - if you set up your Scan to Folder app for TIFF output with Combine Files selected, the app will put the scanned output in the root folder (no subfolders are created), but only IF you are scanning each invoice separately (meaning: place invoice 1 in the feeder, hit scan.  Place invoice 2 in the feeder, hit scan).  I'm guessing that based on your volume, you are not scanning the invoices separately.  Is that correct?    Scanning a lot of files all at once with the app set up in this manner, will create one large TIFF file that includes all of your scanned files, as you mentioned in your last post.

I ran some tests using PDF as the output and in my case, the output files were placed in my root folder.  No subfolders were created with my test, but again, I may not be scanning the input files in the same manner. 

I will follow up with the program and development teams to see if changes could be made to allow users to turn on/off the subfolder creation option or perhaps another solution that will allow users to scan to the root folder.

I hope that the above information might be helpful, but please let me know the details for your workflow.  I will absolutely follow up with the team, in the meantime.

Thank you,

XAS Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Some of the invoices are scanned in from the feeder, and some from the glass, so this will not work. These are vendor invoices. Some of them are 8 1/2 by 11, but a lot of them are printed from handheld printers. Therefore, they will not scan through the feeder. Trying to scan them one at a time, will just move the extra work from the accounting department to the stores, which will still be a lot of additional labor costs.

Our Xerox support company is trying to determine why the PDFs are not working, since they were working before we switched to Tiff. If this can be fixed, then that is at least a workaround for now.

Frankly, I have no idea why this ability is not available on the VersaLink line, since this is possible on the AltaLink as well as the WorkCentre lines. This is really a basic functionality of scanners. I cannot think of any reason this would not be available on the Versalink line, and that is putting it nicely. I do know I am not the first person to requests this, as I found related questions on your support forum for at least the last year. If they are not going to make this a ability available, then we will be returning these scanners, since they are effectively useless they way they are. Even if we get the PDF workaround working, it is still requiring more work on our part to achieve a basic scanning functionality. We should not have to add additional steps to our workflow just to make up for your company's ineffecient scanners. 

Chad Hastings
DGS-Acquisitions, LLC

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, Chad.

Just to clarify, scanning from both the feeder and platen will work in the scenario that I mentioned in my previous post.  I just used submitting via the feeder as an example.  You can scan from the glass as well.

I completely agree with you.  The VersaLink devices do work differently, but if you wouldn't mind sharing more detail around the scanning workflow with me, we might be able to find a solution that will allow you to scan TIFF files to your root directory without subfolders or file conversions. 

When you are scanning the invoices from the handhelds, each of these are scanned individually from the glass?  Is that accurate? Or do you place a lot of the smaller size invoices on the glass and then scan them all at once? 

What about when you are scanning the 8.5 x 11 invoices?  How are these files scanned? 

From what I've tested here, the AltaLink devices will create subfolders when scanning multiple files all at once as well.  I need to understand your workflows better.  I'd be happy to set up a WebEx to meet with you or someone that does the scanning so that I can understand and accurately pass along the issues to the Program and development team.  If this sounds like an option, please contact me via our feedback email  (xerox.app.gallery.feedback@xerox.com) with some dates and times that would work best for you.

Thank you,

XAS Moderator

0 Kudos